Participant Consent, Assumption of Risk & Release From Fault * Required
I and (if applicable) the minor participant for whom I am a parent/guardian (the "Participant") understand and agree to the following:
• The Participant requests and consents to participate in the Ability KC A Day At The Lake Water Sports Clinic at Smithville Lake on July 12, 2019 ("A Day At The Lake"). No Participant (including any minor participant) will be allowed to participate before signing this agreement as indicated below.
• The Participant understands that Ability KC, Clay County Parks and Recreation, and event sponsors, and each of their employees, agents, and independent contractors, have no responsibility or control over the watercraft or boats used during A Day At The Lake and that they are provided and operated by volunteers. No assurances or guarantees as to the operation of the watercraft or boats have been made.
• The Participant agrees to abide by all instructions or safety practices given by Ability KC, Clay County Parks and Recreation, event sponsors, and/or volunteers. The Participant understands that the failure to comply with these instructions or safety practices will result in refusal of further participation.
• The Participant understands he/she will be required to wear a life jacket whenever they are in the water or on a watercraft or boat, and he/she agrees to do so.
• The Participant acknowledges and understands that the Participant will be engaging in sports activities that involve risk of serious injury, including, but not limited to, severe social and economic losses, permanent disability, and death, or property damage. These injuries or damages might result from Participant's actions or inactions, the fault or negligence of others, including that of Ability KC, Clay County Parks and Recreation, event sponsors, and/or event volunteers, the weather or conditions of the water, or the conditions of any premises or equipment used. Further, participation may involve risks not known or foreseeable at this time to Participant, Ability KC, Clay County Parks and Recreation, event sponsors, and/or event volunteers. Participant acknowledges and understands that he/she voluntarily assumes all these risks when participating in A Day At The Lake.
• The Participant voluntarily releases and agrees to hold harmless Ability KC, Clay County Parks and Recreation, event sponsors, and volunteers, including each of their employees, agents, independent contractors, and insurers (the "Releasees"), from any and all claims for injury or property damage due to Releasees' negligence or fault, as a result of Participant's participation in or attendance at A Day At The Lake. This release will be construed to the broadest extent permitted by law. Participant acknowledges and understands that, if injured, Participant will be solely responsible for medical costs.
• I understand that I must be at least one year post-injury in order to participate in A Day at the Lake. I confirm and acknowledge that it has been at least one year since my injury/illness occurred.
I/we (1) have read and understand the above Participant Consent, Assumption of Risk, & Release From Fault,
(2) acknowledge that the agreement has not changed orally, and (3) sign it voluntarily below.