Early Literacy: Ability KC + Lena Start
Ability KC is excited to partner with LENA to support parents’ ability to unlock their children’s social, emotional, and cognitive potential. This 13 week program for parents with children ages 0-32 months focuses on how often parents talk with their children and how often they have “turn taking” between adult and child.
This opportunity is available to all families with children with and without disabilities. This program is open to the Kansas City community. Children do not have to be receiving services at Ability KC.
- 13 weekly sessions that are one hour in length. During the session, there will be a formal lesson, discussion and opportunity to ask questions and receive feedback.
- Each session is a group of 10-15 parents, grandparents, caregivers, etc.
- Participants are required to participate in a minimum of 9 sessions to “graduate” from the program.
- Participants will receive free books each week as well as opportunities to interact with parents, caregivers and Ability KC experts.
- Data will be collected each session on the number of words, turns and weekly progress made.
- Each session will begin with an optional social time and a light breakfast from 8:00 – 8:30 am. Child care will be provided upon request.