Since 1978, the Ability KC Driving Program has been helping adolescents and adults reach their greatest level of independence behind the wheel. Our therapists have specialized training and work exclusively in the area of driving assessments and training to ensure a high level of expertise.
Individuals participate in a variety of clinical and behind the wheel assessments for the most accurate and industry recognized outcomes. The Ability KC Driving Program offers evaluations for individuals with goals of returning to driving following a diagnosis, wish to continue driving as their needs change or those learning to drive for the first time.
Our Driving Team ensures an individual’s safety needs are met while focusing on defensive driving and accident avoidance techniques. Specialty areas include evaluation, training and equipment recommendations for individuals with stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, physical limitations and first time drivers with diagnoses such as Autism or Cerebral Palsy.
Adaptive Driving Van
Ability KC’s Driving Program includes a fleet of cars and one of Kansas City’s only specialized adapted driver’s training vans. The van’s specialized adaptations incorporate innovative technology to allow individuals to drive from their wheelchair, use a van lift for assistance in and out of the van, trial equipment for their personal vehicles, and have access to highly specialized seating and equipment not available in other vehicles.
- Autism Spectrum
- Brain Injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Developmental Disabilities
- Low Vision
- Memory Loss
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurological Visual Issues
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Physical Limitations
- Senior Drivers
- Spina Bifida
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Wheelchair Users
- Driver’s safety and control.
- Clinical testing based on diagnosis to include cognition, physical and vision assessments.
- Therapist recommendations for equipment or modifications based on evaluation.
- Use of adaptive equipment as needed.
- Address proficiency using adaptive equipment.
- Individualized training sessions provided by driving rehabilitation experts based on evaluation.
- Accident avoidance and defensive driving training.